You may have heard of collagen in relation to skincare, but what exactly is it? Collagen is a protein that’s found in the connective tissue of animals, and it’s often used as a supplement. It’s thought to have a variety of benefits, including reducing wrinkles and joint pain. Let’s take a closer look at collagen and some of its potential benefits.
What is Collagen?
As we age, our bodies produce less collagen. This can lead to wrinkles, sagging skin, and joint pain. Collagen is a protein found in the connective tissue of animals, and it’s often used as a supplement. It’s thought to have a variety of benefits, including reducing wrinkles and joint pain.
Collagen supplements are usually made from the skin, bones, or connective tissue of cows, chickens, or fish. They’re typically sold as powders or capsules. Some people also use creams or lotions containing collagen.
Benefits of Collagen
- May reduce wrinkles. Wrinkles are caused by a breakdown of collagen in the skin. When you apply collagen to your skin, it may help reduce wrinkles by boosting collagen production. What’s more, several studies show that applying hydrolyzed collagen to your skin can increase elasticity and hydration.
- May slow bone loss. Bone loss is a natural part of aging. It occurs when the body breaks down bone faster than it can be replaced. This process is called osteoporosis and can lead to weak and brittle bones. Supplementing with collagen may help slow bone loss by stimulating bone growth.
- May reduce joint pain. Joint pain is often caused by inflammation or wear and tear on the cartilage that cushions your joints. Collagen supplements may help reduce joint pain by reducing inflammation. In one study, people with osteoarthritis who took a hydrolyzed collagen supplement for 6 months had less pain and needed fewer painkillers than those who didn’t take the supplement.
- May improve skin elasticity. Skin elasticity declines as you age, which can cause wrinkles and sagging skin. Hydrolyzed collagen may improve skin elasticity by boosting collagen production. In one study, women who took a hydrolyzed collagen supplement for 8 weeks had better skin elasticity than those who didn’t take the supplement.
- May promote wound healing. When you have a cut or scrape, your body forms new tissue to heal the wound. This process requires collagen. Hydrolyzed collagen supplements may promote wound healing by increasing levels of collagen in the body.
- May support healthy hair and nails. Your hair and nails are made mostly of keratin, which is a type of protein. Collagen may support healthy hair and nails by providing them with the amino acids they need to grow.
Collagen is a protein found in the connective tissue of animals that’s often used as a supplement. It’s thought to have various benefits, including reducing wrinkles, joint pain, and promoting wound healing. Additionally, collagen may support healthy hair and nails. If you’re considering taking a collagen supplement, Forest Wellness’ Premium Collagen is the best on the market!
Try our NEW – Collagen Gummies – Forest Wellness